Saturday, October 21, 2017

Smoke from phone sparks midair scare

A mobile phone kept in a passenger's handbag caught fire mid-air on a Jet Airways flight from Delhi to Indore on Friday. As the cabin started filling with fumes, the 80 passengers started panicking. However, the flight's crew managed to subdue them.
The phone burst in the bag of Arpita Dhall, who was on seat 11E. Her husband, Atul Dhall, told TOI: "We heard a thud from under the seat and then fumes started spreading. There were three mobile phones in my wife's handbag, which was tucked under her seat."
In a statement, the airline said. "The Jet Airways crew (took) all necessary precautionary measures as per the prescribed guidelines. The mobile device was taken into custody for further investigations. There was no injury to guests or crew or (damage to) any part of the cabin. The aircraft landing was safe and uneventful."
In a statement, the airline said. "The Jet Airways crew (took) all necessary precautionary measures as per the prescribed guidelines. The mobile device was taken into custody for further investigations. There was no injury to guests or crew or (damage to) any part of the cabin. The aircraft landing was safe and uneventful."
Dhall, who runs a packaging business in Delhi and lives in Mayur Vihar-I, was travelling with his wife, 18-month-old son and father to celebrate Diwali with his aunt. The crew was serving snacks when fumes started filling the cabin. An attendant immediately pulled out the bag and placed it at the rear. The family was also moved towards the rear of the aircraft.
"The attendant brought a fire extinguisher, but it malfunctioned," said Dhall. The fire was put out by pouring water on the bag on suggestions by passengers.
21/10/17 Salil Mekaadi/Times of India
-------------------

0 Comments: