Tuesday, February 21, 2017

MH370: Why did investigators search in wrong area?

After closing their search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 investigators admitted they had been looking in the wrong location and the most recent data indicates the plane is most likely to the north of the previous search area.

MH370 disappeared on a routine flight from Beijing to Kuala Lumpur in 2014. The search centred on the southern Indian Ocean, but two years on, no wreckage was found and the investigation was subsequently closed.
Search teams scoured a 46,332sq-mile area of the southern Indian Ocean.

However, in November, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which oversaw the search, mounted a review of the investigation that concluded: "There is a high degree of confidence that the previously identified underwater area searched to date does not contain the missing aircraft."
After putting together new flight simulations, modelling drift patterns based on debris matched to the missing plane and conducting further analysis of satellite communications, experts now believe an area immediately to the north of the current search area is most likely to contain the missing plane, the BBC says.

"The participants of the First Principles Review were in agreement on the need to search an additional area representing approximately 25,000 sq km (9,700sq-miles)," says the broadcaster.
Will a new search be carried out in this area?

Probably not. Australia's transport minister Darren Chester said the search will not be resumed, given the new report doesn't identify a "specific location" for the aircraft.

What has the reaction been?

Pressure is building from families of the victims for authorities to resume the search for the missing plane.

Sheryl Keen, of the international victims' advocacy group Voice370, personally handed letters from the relatives to Malaysian transport minister Liow Tiong Lai when he visited Australia this month.
21/02/17 The Week

0 Comments: