Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Mystery of MH370 to remain unsolved without new search for wreckage

Malaysian air safety authorities have declared more than four years after the disappearance of flight MH370 they do not know what caused the plane to crash into the southern Indian Ocean and won't know unless the wreckage is found.

The view was shared by frustrated family members of Australians who died in the bewildering aviation tragedy. Irene Burrows, 89, whose son Rodney and daughter-in-law Mary were on the flight, said the mystery would stay unsolved "until such time as they find the plane and I'm sure it won't be found in my lifetime."

The official search ended last year and the latest, private hunt wrapped up in May, meaning Monday's Malaysian report is effectively the final word on the mystery that claimed 239 lives, including six Australians and New Zealander Paul Weeks.

The investigation report released on Monday afternoon cleared the pilot and first officer, and said the plane itself was in good condition. That left the possibility of intervention by "a third party", which the investigators did not rule out.
"But at the same time we cannot deny the fact that there was an air turnback. We cannot deny the fact that, as we have analysed, the systems were manually turned off with intent or otherwise.

"So we feel that there's also one possibility that could account for all these … No matter what we do, we cannot exclude the possibility of a third person or third party or unlawful interference."
31/07/15 David Wroe/Stuff

0 Comments: