Tuesday, February 25, 2020

2 addl flights will push up cargo volume: Exporters

Trichy: Exporters in Trichy airport exuded confidence that the introduction of two more flight services to Abu Dhabi and Doha will help them handle more volume of cargo. The old terminal at the airport was converted into an international cargo complex and was commissioned for operations on November 21, 2011.
The Central Board of Excise and Customs approved and notified the airport as an air cargo complex. Ever since the airport started to handle cargo, the terminal has been witnessing increase in handling cargo consignment when compared the previous year.

Export of perishables commodities like vegetables, fruits, flowers constitute 90% of the total volume of consignments handled here. Singapore, Dubai, Sharjah, Kuala Lumpur and Colombo are the main destinations. The remaining 10% of export included are non-perishables like garments, leather etc.
Air India Express, Air Asia, Scoot Air, Malindo Air, Sri Lankan Airlines and IndiGo Air have been providing 91 services per week to Dubai, Sharjah, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Colombo. The total volume of cargo handled in 2009-10 was 1,349 and it started going upward year by year. In 2018-19, the total volume of cargo handled registered as 6,932 tonnes. It was 6,787 tonne till January 2020. As two months are remaining to complete the financial year 2019-20, the terminal is likely to touch a volume of 8000 tonne, airport authorities said. It will be a reality when the newly launched flights - Abu Dhabi and Doha - accommodate significant volume of cargo, they said.
25/02/20 D Vincent Arockiaraj/Times of India

To Read the News in full at Source, Click the Headline


Post a Comment