Saturday, August 05, 2017

Migrant electrocuted, four suffer burn injuries at airport

Mohali: A 24-year-old migrant was electrocuted while four others sustained burn injuries at the Chandigarh International Airport at Mohali here this morning.
The incident occurred around 10 am when Shankar Sahu from Chhattisgarh, along with his colleagues Harishanker (19), Manoj (25), Ved Parkash (25) and Sobhran (21), was dragging a 25-foot-high aluminium ladder from the cargo area to the airport terminal when it came in contact with a 22-foot-high overhead 11kV high-tension wire. All victims, hailing from Uttar Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, were hired on daily wages by a contractor for some ongoing work at the airport.
According to eyewitnesses, all of them fell unconscious after receiving the electric shock. They were rushed to Fortis Hospital at Mohali in an ambulance of the hospital, which is usually stationed outside the airport for emergency purposes.
Shankar Sahu was declared brought dead at the hospital. “We started the treatment of the other victims immediately and now their condition is stable,” said one of the doctors. Later, the victims were shifted to the Government Medical College and Hospital in Sector 32, Chandigarh.
05/08/17 Tribune

0 Comments: